A simple meal is provided each Thursday evening for the families and volunteers. The meal is served promptly at 6:30 p.m. The number of persons to be fed will vary (from 55 – 60) depending on the number of families (and their makeup) and assigned volunteers who are participating at any point in time.
We rotate the Meal Coordinator periodically. Duties are:
- Schedule the meal providers a month or more in advance. At present, there are more than 39 groups who provide a meal 2-4 times per year.
- Follow up 3 weeks before a scheduled date to ensure the group will be able to provide the meal. Tell the contact person that the Program Manager will call them about a week before their scheduled date to provide the count of persons to be served.
- Arrange for persons to serve and to clean up after the meal. It is expected that a church group would provide 3 or 4 persons to serve and clean up, but this should be verified.
- Assist the Office Manager in recruiting other groups and restaurants as meal providers. We especially need to identify one or more restaurants that could be called as back-up in case a scheduled provider is unable to meet their commitment.
- The Office Manager will ensure that sufficient disposable plates, eating utensils, cups, napkins, etc. are available for each meal, if needed, but we try have the organization provide the products too. These supplies are purchased in bulk and stored by the Office Manager.
- Our host church is Greenwood Forest Baptist Church for Thursday night has requested that we not use their kitchen facilities for cooking. (Use of microwave and sinks is permitted). Therefore, the meal should be ready to serve when it arrives at the church.
- Ice is available at GFBC.
We are now recruiting additional churches (and possibly restaurants) to provide a meal 2-4 times a year. If you are interested, check Meal Provider on Interest form.